MEMO to CARE FOR a KITTEN
So You are the proud owner of the world's best kitten, who came into this world specifically for You, Congratulations! But now it is necessary to competently grow to become a worthy representative of the Siberian breed, and for this read the small instruction below :-)
Moving from Breeder
To carry a kitten to a new home preferably in a special carry. Lay it in the diaper or towel in the road, take wet wipes and dry paper towels, a spare diaper. If it's cold outside, take a warm blanket to cover the carrier. Portability it is better to take a spacious, "room for growth", it will be convenient to carry for example on vaccinations to the vet.
Kitten first days at home
It is best to bring a kitten into a new home when there is someone from the family members (in the weekend or on holidays, vacation) and have free time. Put the carrier, open the door, let the kitten take a look around.
Take the kitty on the handle - show him the apartment, calm gentle voice telling him what and where (not poverite they understand everything!) Be sure to bring it to the bowl drain on the floor, let obnimaetsa. Then take it to the tray, sit back, let a little sit in there, and maybe you will make something :-)
The first day colorbook can worry tends to hide in a secluded place. May lose appetite, upset a chair (very rarely) If the kitten was hiding – not wheedle him out of hiding, give him time to adapt. At this time it is better not to make noise, not to scream, not to show concern. When the kitten comes out of hiding, play with him, offer food periodically drop it on the litter tray to the kitten remembered the place. Some make the mistake of assuming that once the kitten is accustomed to the tray, then he will find the road to it in the new house, and forgetting about the fact that the situation now is quite different and the kid just can not navigate, not doterpit to go to the toilet elsewhere. Therefore, if you notice that the kitten began to sniff and scratch at the floor again, put him in the tray.
The first night the kitten may behave restlessly, "crying" is not an alarming symptom. Play with him, cuddle, he will turn his attention and calm down.
Postaraytes to block cat access to places where he can climb and get stuck there, or to hide (in drawers, under cabinets, in the washing machine, oven).
Be patient, try to be careful and cautious when interacting with a kitten. But all the manipulations with it spend with confidence and without fear.
How to raise a kitten how to teach your kitten to the tray
You need to make the kitten understand that the house is the "main cat" is You. Do not let the kitten do what you will he then be banned, from the first day, BUT!! physical punishment is unacceptable. Siberians are very smart and intelligent, try to agree with kitten about the rules of living together on good terms.
The kitten needs to know the word "no". To pronounce the ban to be "special", in a harsh tone, not too loudly, but firmly and only in the moment when you caught the kitten in the forbidden pastime. For example, if the kitten was attached to sharpen its claws on your favorite sofa, you should strictly say "no", then bring the kitten to the scratching post and show him by example, where it is possible to sharpen claws. To be more attractive scratching post Catnip treat. When the kitten will do what you expect from it, should be to praise him, Pat. And the place where it is undesirable to sharpen the claws it is best to handle special tools with a citrus smell.
How to feed a kitten
1.The first time should follow the recommendations of the breeder. It is absolutely unacceptable to make a drastic change in diet kitten: this may lead to digestive disorders. The first few days, feed him like he used to:. Find out from the breeder what and how to eat kitty, feel free once again to consult, ask for advice.
Be careful, that kitty always has clean water available.
2. Any change of diet should occur gradually over one month.
3. What is strictly not recommended to feed a kitten and an adult cat too:
fish in any form,
any food from our table - fried, boiled, soups, pasta, salt and spices, canned goods, widely advertised low-quality feed
Safety of the kitten
Kittens are very curious. In addition, they are excellent hunters. Movement outside the window – birds, insects – is bound to attract her attention. The cat can jump out the window to die or get lost. On Windows the owner of any cat should stand in a reliable mesh (mosquito mesh – did not help), or restraints. In addition, try to limit cat access to places where he can climb and then fall from a great height. The kitten still has no ability without harm to itself, to descend from heights, can jump off and be damaged. If it is impossible to restrict access – put in a dangerous place Mat or pillow, or make a makeshift ladder (chair-table-window sill, etc.).
Shoes should not be within reach of the kitten in the Shoe is easy to bring into the house a dangerous and deadly infection. Although the kitten moved to new home fully vaccinated is only can alleviate the disease but, unfortunately, do not fully protect. Shoes should be removed in the cupboard, or to wash.
So, what can be dangerous for the kitten:
- thread, pins, buttons, and other small items which the kitten can swallow;
- chemical products (detergents and other means, especially chlorine);
- potted plants (the animal can chew on them and poison);
Poisonous plants: Euphorbia, dieffenbachia, oleander, philodendron, geraniums, violets, cacti, etc.;
- household waste from the garbage, especially the bones of fish and poultry;
- wire (the kitten can chew them and get electrocuted). Better to stick them with tape to the floor,put in a special box or hidden under the carpet, in extreme cases, spray periodically "Integrisanom";
- washing machine (the cat can choose it as a sleeping place);
- open Windows and balconies (on the window should be durable mesh, the baby fell). When you go out on the balcony in the winter, make sure not if you have closed the cat there, it can freeze;
- drafts (cat easily catches a cold on draught);
- doors. Entering the room where the kitten, open the door slowly so the kitty can sit right under the door. And close the doors slowly, as cats prefer to stop halfway.
- moving, repairs. If you move house, transport furniture or do repairs, isolate the kitten for a while, or he can seize the moment and ran to the entrance.
How can you understand if a kitten is ill
Options adult healthy cats: body temperature – 38 to 40, heart rate is 100-120 beats per minute, respiratory rate of 20-30 breaths per minute puberty – 8 to 15 months, a life expectancy of 15-20 years.
In the modern world in addition to viral diseases of cats lurk many dangers: free range in the city (You risk losing the pet forever, don't let that happen!), Windows without grids, Christmas decorations (If You live in the house cat, do not use tinsel, rain), etc. Many diseases in cats occur very rapidly, and therefore it is necessary at first signs of discomfort immediately contact a doctor.
Every owner wants their cat lived longer and were healthy. The best way to protect pet from many harmful diseases is vaccination. You only need only 1 time a year (along with a visit to the vet for a checkup, for example) get vaccinated against rabies, panleukopenia, calicivirus, rhinotracheitis. In different regions different common diseases. Consult your vet or breeder about the choice. Before that you need to carry out deworming. This is a must for everybody. Even if Your pet goes outside, there is a risk of infectious diseases (e.g. virus, feline distemper can be brought together with dirt on the boots). If You have a kitten and nature lovers go to the country, walk in the Park (harness required), conduct prevention from fleas and ticks. Also, be sure to visit the veterinarian – prevention is very important, don't wait for trouble!
It is always necessary to monitor the status and health of the kitten. Any signs of illness should alert the owner.
The symptoms that you should pay attention to:
- Kitten is lethargic, refuses food and water,
- Temperature (dry nose, hot ears),
- Discharge from the eyes and nose,
- Diarrhea, vomiting, constipation,
- Dull coat, excessive moulting.
But too fanatical approach to health can disservice. You should not under any suspicion to panic and to stuff the kitten in all possible medications. Once again, Lucy to consult a veterinarian if in doubt.
To prevent diseases it is recommended to perform wet cleaning with the use of special concentrates
why is it necessary to castrate/sterilize a kitten
Advantages of castration:
1. Cats are very prolific. One cat and her offspring in 7 years can produce 420 000 of their own kind.
2. Drown kittens, even newborns - to commit murder. It is also unacceptable to throw them out or throw anyone. Rearing require a certain physical effort and money. It was nice to watch the kittens growing up, but when it comes time to find their owners, there is a big problem.
3. Even if you take all precautions, the cat can quietly escape through the door, jump out the window or from the balcony. Very often it ends tragically, and sometimes animals disappear forever. Neutered cats and sterilized cats live longer and healthier lives. For them reducing the risk of Contracting infectious diseases. Neutered cats, with rare exceptions, when the operation is done at a later age, cease to mark territory. They held aggression towards people and other cats related to their sexual behavior.
4. Castration and sterilization is the only way to prevent the birth of unwanted city animals and to help the cat and the cat to live normal, healthy lives.
what to buy for the kitten before arrival
It's important to get Your house kitty was already waiting for all the necessary things. They can be purchased at any pet store.
Scratching post (vertical, horizontal) or Playground with a Playhouse.
Carrying a bag or plastic container for animals. It is needed not only for the trip to the vet, but also for travel.
The toilet tray. Size – the bigger the better.
Filler-the one that uses the Breeder (jelatelno to ask for a bag of napolnitelem from my home and pour into a new tray, the kitten will be easier to navigate by smell - where is the tray). And shovel for cleaning.
Toys-balls, mice, teasers.
Bowls 3 PCs - for water, dry food, wet food. Desirable bowl stainless steel, or ceramic, they are easier to clean and disinfect, do not absorb odors. Water bowl needs a sufficiently deep, the Siberians sometimes like to drink with his paws.
Dry food – grade, specified by the breeder. Can gradually be replaced by any other food Super Premium or Premium